Monday, April 24, 2006

Beware drunken girls who tell you they love you

There's this girl I know, and, for the sake of anonymity, we shall refer to her as Blondie. Blondie was in my first year philosophy class. I had a cush on her. Not huge in my personal history of crushes, but I was certainly attracted to her. Being the gutless coward that I am , I kept my feelings stoicly to myself. I finally got up the nerve to approach her at least after the the final exam. I figured it was innocent enough seeing as how people naturally compare notes after an exam. So I talked to her for a bit then she took a call on her cell from...bom bom bom..her boyfriend!!

You never quite get used to feeling of discovering the girl you like is spoken for. It is like jumping into a pool of boiling water when you are expecting a cool refreshing dip. (Ok a bit dramatic but you get the point). We said our goodbyes and I believed for some odd reason that our paths would never cross again (I guess you're allowed to be naive in first year).

A few years passed and I didn't see her until one day I was out with some friends and I saw her at a bar we used to frequent. She recognized me instantly and she came up to me and we began talking about the respective "isms" of our fancy. Me with my naive existentialism and her with her feminism. After a while, she left to go to a different part of the bar. Left to my own devices, I might have left it at that. But with the encouragement of the people I was with, I decided to try to pursue this matter furher, or in plain talk, I was trying to see how far I could get with her. No I wasn't trying to get laid. I was trying to open the possibility of going out with her. I went to downstairs part of the bar where she said she was going and there she was in all her glory....sitting on the lap of (yes you guess it)her boyfriend with whom she was living. Ouch. But I guess I should have known better

A couple more years pass, and I am sitting in a heavy metal/goth bar with some friends. We were having a good time listening to some good tunes when my attention was attracted to a blond girl violently making out with some guy. Suddenly it dawned on me who this girl was: Blondie. She came over to me all strung out from booze, and I suspect some other chemical in her system. She started hugging me and telling me how she remembers me from first year. She then pointed to the guy she was with and she said to me "You're a nice gy, you should tell him to treat me better" I was like "I'd prefer not to get beaten up tonight." She sort of begged me the way only an an attractive young woman can. My resolve broke and I walked up to the guy and asked him if he was Blondie's boyfriend "No," he said without a trace of sarcasm "we're just friends".

It is kind of hard to explain how strange this situation was. Here you have a girl who is drunk and possibly stoned, wearing sandals in February making out with a guy who claims not to be her boyfriend. She then resumed hanging off me telling me she loves me. Ha. I've always wanted a hot, blond woman to tell me she loves me but not like this. But just as strangely as the non-couple arrived, they vanished of into they night leaving me dazed and confused.

Had I known how messed up this girl was, I wouldn't have invest so much in trying to get with her. The moral of the story is sometimes the one you can't have is the one you don't want anyway. Love unrequited is sometimes better unrequited

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home