Monday, December 29, 2008

The In-betweens (Being 20)

Listening to Black Sabbath tonight. Often when I do that I think back to a point in life that was truly a period of transition, a point where i began to learn many habits of my adult life. A good many of those it has taken me a long time to unlearn.

I remember that being on a shit load of medication I would sleep a lot. Sometimes in class. I would usually go out to a bar on weekends and have 1 beer and endless rounds of (often free) coke. I in fact only recently kicked the habit of that devil cola. It would usually take me all of Sunday sleeping to recover from partying with my friends, much to chagrin of my parents.


It was during this time that my friends who will remain nameless began to experiment with the sweetleaf. I in turn began smoking cigars to sort of join in. I often forget just when this period happen but it surprises me that it took place before Aleks left for Germany and subsequently my dark summer and manic episode.


It was during this period that Aleks and I would jam with our guitars, writing riff based songs patterned after our dual idols Black Sabbath and Smashing Pumpkins. We even went as far as to jam at the music building at Western until the security goons told us to scram.

I began growing my hair long at this point as I was getting deeper and deeper into heavy metal and trying to erect some kind of identity for myself. It here that I decided I would get my phd. I didn't know in what yet but the dream was born.

I didn't realize until today that this period held such sway with me. Granted much of it needed to be overcome. But I realize now that one reason I feel a distance has been traveled in the past year or so and thus a distinct turn has been made (starting with cutting my hair and graduating from King's) is that I have now grown out of the phase started at this point. The identity I created and the habits I acquired are slowly losing their sway while the dream grows ever stronger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home